Pages

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Book Thief


"Book Thief" wasn't my first taste of my library. But it's a really amazing read. Everything from the cover to the blurb to the style in which words are arranged across the page is deliciously.... what's the word?
Wordylicious! 

Here, words are arranged together like it's music, or art.. Words just play out in front of your eyes forming images and sequences of happenings seamlessly..



The mind-picture you create when reading a book is ALWAYS better than the movie that's made upon the book. I had down right be prejudiced to the movie version if ever this book gets translated to celluloid! Because the mental visuals I have made up, thanks to the richness of the words is soooooo good, I can't tell you!

Anyways, The Book Thief is written by Markus Zusak. And even though I have never heard of him before this book, I'm already a die-hard fan.
Where else do you find Death narrating the story? And that too, if Death is actually kinda a nice "person"? [person may not be the word, I know..]
Add to that the fact he spills all the important incidents yet to happen in the story way before we are anywhere near the real plot. But this doesn't spoil any of your interest or excitement at all surprisingly!

His opinion on what he is?
"I'm not violent. I'm not malicious. I'm a result."


I have to admit I'm embarrassed_ It's been hundreds of books since I cried so MUCH while reading a book. [Last one that worked on my tear glands as much,was Sirius' death, obviously]
But I was so...into the book, I was as much a native of the Himmel Street,as the Book Thief who lived there with her foster parents.

An abstract on the story?
In Death's own words:
"It's about a story of one of those perpetual survivors- an expert at being left behind.
It's just a small story really, about, amongst other things:

* A girl
* Some words
*An accordionist
* Some fanatical Germans
* A Jewish fist-fighter
* And quite a lot of thievery.


Still not interested?
I'm hating you then!

7 comments:

Kk said...

I wish I can express my eagerness in words to have tht book in my hands...I will anyway soon..
At present I am into R.K Narayan and Somerset Maugham (have you noticed there is a slight similarity in their styles??)
btw, you brought tears into my eyes by reminding of Sirius & (of course) Dumbledore

Zeba said...

Sounds interesting..must read it sometime!

Unknown said...

Hey There :)

First of all, I love the template used, it is so in co ordination with the Blog title. And secondly, I was actually looking for a good read, guess I found one!

Love, Risha :)

Jen..The Butterfly Effect said...

Wow Raphael!! I should really pick this one for sure.My reading habits since I started blogging and got busy with project is dying out!Should revive all that! :)

Going to follow you here!:)

Azra Raphael said...

@ jen- you totally should! and thanks for following!

@risha kalra, zeb and bobby- thank you! =)

Unknown said...

a beautifully written review,am so tempted to read the book even tho m nt a sci fi sorta person..hmmm...lets c,i guess l grab my copy soonn

Melissa Winters said...

Great, I had already bought and kept this book. :D I haven't read it yet, though except very little just to see how it is.